Corn as evidence of macroevolution (Doebley, Iltis,

Doug Eernisse Doug_Ee at
Fri Dec 17 15:15:45 EST 1993

In article <2eqpdd$kt5 at> ,
bishopj at writes:
>As I understand it, macroevolution simply refers to the evolution of any large
>phenotypic change.  According to Futuyma, it is a vague term, but usually
>refers to a change large enough to classify the lineage as a distinct genus...
I agree that this view of "macroevolution" is also out there and is no doubt
the most prevalent view. I was just trying to point out that Stanley and
Gould, etc., were generally more concerned with the "emergent properties"
view and it is best to keep the issues straight, especially because the
author mentioned Gould as associated with current views on macroevolution.
I guess I could have said this more clearly before.