Estimates for vertebrate divergences

David Steffen steffen at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu
Tue Feb 9 13:46:52 EST 1993

GEustace at massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) writes:
>many authors state dates of divergence between taxa but may not cite
>primary (or any) references in support. I am after estimates of
>divergence times between the following vertebrate groups...
>
>80 million years is a frequently cited estimate for mammalian radiation.
>From what reference(s) did this date come.
>
>Robert Hickson.

I would like to thank Robert or Glen, or whoever for posting this
question!

This is a question I have had several times - e.g. I typically have a
good guess about a divergence time, (e.g. 15 million years rat to
mouse) but am not sure I am correct, and certainly cannot find a
reference to that to save my life.  I think that a database of good
primary literature references in evolutionary biology, especially on
divergence times, to help out us poor molecular biologists, would be
most appreciated!

--
David Steffen
Department of Cell Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston TX 77030
Internet = steffen at bcm.tmc.edu