Estimates for vertebrate divergences

David Steffen steffen at
Tue Feb 9 13:46:52 EST 1993

GEustace at (Glen Eustace) writes:
>many authors state dates of divergence between taxa but may not cite
>primary (or any) references in support. I am after estimates of
>divergence times between the following vertebrate groups...
>80 million years is a frequently cited estimate for mammalian radiation.
>From what reference(s) did this date come.
>Robert Hickson.

I would like to thank Robert or Glen, or whoever for posting this

This is a question I have had several times - e.g. I typically have a
good guess about a divergence time, (e.g. 15 million years rat to
mouse) but am not sure I am correct, and certainly cannot find a
reference to that to save my life.  I think that a database of good
primary literature references in evolutionary biology, especially on
divergence times, to help out us poor molecular biologists, would be
most appreciated!

David Steffen
Department of Cell Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston TX 77030
Telephone = (713) 798-6655, FAX = (713) 790-0545
Internet = steffen at