Rat/Mouse divergence times (A REPOST)

David Steffen steffen at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu
Thu Feb 11 13:05:13 EST 1993

I received this reply to my comment about Rat/Mouse divergence times.
The author did not know how to post to bionet, and so I am reposting
his message to me at his request.

===== begin reposted message =====

Date:         Thu, 11 Feb 93 15:11:47 GMT
From: "Fran\ois Bonhomme" <GENUSTL%FRMOP11.BitNet at pucc.princeton.edu>
Subject:      Re: Estimates for vertebrate divergences
To: steffen at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu

I see that there is an ever going controversy about the mouse-rat divergence ti
me. the controversy is solely due to the fact that up to now there were very mi
mited paleontological evidences to calibrate the clock in rodents, and that mos
t of the people are using circular arguments and citations holding all the time
 on erroneous data. The good calibration CANNOT come from molecular data since
we have no independent estimate of the speed of the molecular clock in murids.
it has to come from the paleontology. there are some convincing evidence that r
at and mouse diverged between 9 an 12 MY BP:
Jaeger,JJ, Tong, H & Denys C. 1986. C.R.Acad. Sci. Paris 302 (ser.2) 917-922.

F. Bonhomme
Univ. Montpellier

=====   end reposted message =====
--
David Steffen
Department of Cell Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston TX 77030
Internet = steffen at bcm.tmc.edu