Evolution of Host Defense Conference

gbeck at Path.SOM.sunysb.edu gbeck at Path.SOM.sunysb.edu
Tue Feb 16 17:34:51 EST 1993

Final Program: PRIMORDIAL IMMUNITY: FOUNDATIONS FOR THE
VERTEBRATE IMMUNE SYSTEM

NY Academy of Sciences Conference

Marine Biological Laboratory,   Woods Hole, Massachusetts, USA

May 2-5, 1993

Organizing Committee:  G. Beck (SUNY @ Stony Brook), G. Habicht (SUNY
@ Stony Brook), E. Cooper (UCLA), and J. Marchalonis (Univ. of Arizona)

Abstracts will be accepted until April 1, 1993.  There will be contributed poster
sessions in conjunction with this conference and these will form an integral part
of the program and the publication of a book.  The entire abstract, including
title, author(s), and affiliations, must be typed single-spaced and contained
within a rectangle that measures 5 X 4 3/8 in. (W X L).

Sunday    May 2, 1993
Welcome and introductory remarks:  Gail S. Habicht, Ph.D.
					   Conference Co-chairperson
Introductory Speaker:			Development of an Immune System
				   	John J. Marchalonis, Ph.D.
				   	Conference Co-chairperson

Monday    May 3, 1993
09:00-12:00   Session I:  Early Evolution of Host Defenses
In Search of Phylogenetic Origins
	   		Mitchell L. Sogin, Ph.D
	   		Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA
MHC Evolution and Development of a Recognition System
	   		Susumu Ohno, Ph.D.
	   		City of Hope National Medical Center, Duarte, CA
Cell Surface Recognition and the Immunoglobulin Superfamily
	   		John J. Marchalonis, Ph.D.
	   		University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
Evolution of Hematopoietic Growth Factors
		   	Grover C. Bagby, Jr., M.D.
		   	Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR
Cytokine Receptors and Ligands:  Clues to an Evolutionarily Conserved
Interaction
	   		J. Fernando Bazan, Ph.D.
		   	University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA

13:30-17:00    Session II:  Early Molecules of Immunity
Evolution of the T Cell Receptor
		   	Takeshi Matsunaga, Ph.D.
		   	University of Umea, Umea, Sweden
Biochemical Characterization of Lectin Molecules in Invertebrates
		   	Gerardo R. Vasta, Ph.D.
		   	Marine Biotechnical Institute, Baltimore, MD
Recognition Molecules and Ig Domains in Invertebrates
		   	Samuel F. Schluter,  Ph.D.
	   		University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
An Insect Model for the Induction and Regulation of Nonanticipatory Immune
		   	Ingrid Faye, Ph.D.
	   		University of Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden
Evolution of Adaptive Immunity:  Inducible Responses in the	American
Cockroach
		   	Richard D. Karp, Ph.D.
		   	University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
Autoimmunoregulation Involving Neuropeptides
		   	George B. Stefano, Ph.D.
	   		SUNY @ Old Westbury, Old Westbury, NY
17:00-19:30	POSTER SESSION/WORKSHOP

Tuesday    May 4, 1993
09:00-12:30   Session III:  Establishment of a Humoral Defense
A Role of Hemocyte-derived Granular Components in Invertebrate Defense
		   	Sadaaki Iwanaga, Ph.D.
		   	Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Regulation of Antibacterial Protein Synthesis Following Infection and During
Metamorphosis of Manduca sexta
   			Peter E. Dunn, Ph.D.
   			Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
Antibacterial Peptides in Insects:  Structures and Control of Gene Expression
	   		Jules A. Hoffmann, Ph.D.
	   		Universite de Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France
Invertebrate Alpha-2-macroglobulin:  Structure/Function and the Ancient Thiol
Ester Bond
   			James P. Quigley,  Ph.D.
	   		SUNY @ Stony  Brook, Stony Brook, NY
Limulus C-reactive Protein and Related Molecules in the Defense Mechanism of
Horseshoe Crabs
	   		Teh-Yung Liu, Ph.D.
   			Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Bethesda, MD
The Prophenoloxidase System and its Role in Invertebrate Defense
	   		Kenneth Soderhall, Ph.D.
	   		University of Uppsala, Uppsala, Sweden

19:30-22:10   Session IV:  Was a Cellular Defense the First Defense?
Phagocytosis and Invertebrate Opsonins in Relation to Parasitism
	   		Christopher J. Bayne, Ph.D.
	   		Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
Evidence for Agglutinin or Opsonin Receptors on Invertebrate Leukocytes
	   		Lothar Renwrantz, Ph.D.
	   		Universitat Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Parasitoid-induced Cellular Immune Deficiency in Drosophila
		   	Tahir M. Rizki, Ph.D.
		   	University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Protozoan Pheromones as Early Cytokines
	   		Pierangelo Luporini, Ph.D.
	   		University of Camerino, Camerino, Italy
Invertebrate Cytokines
		   	Gregory Beck,  B.S.
   			SUNY @ Stony  Brook, Stony Brook, NY

Wednesday   May 5, 1993
09:00-12:20   Session V:  Recognition in Invertebrates
Emerging Paradigms of Cellular Recognition in Invertebrates
	   		Eric H. Davidson, Ph.D.
	   		California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA
Adhesion Molecules of the Immune System
	   		Timothy A. Springer, Ph.D.
	   		Harvard Medical School, Center for Blood Research, Boston, MA
Evolutionary Genetics of Allorecognition
   			Irving L. Weissmann, M.D.
   			Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA
Tunicate Allorecognition
	   		David Raftos, Ph.D.
	   		University of Technology, Sydney, Australia
Specificity and Memory in Invertebrates
	   		Edwin L. Cooper,  Ph.D.
	   		UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA

13:30-16:10   Session VI:  Effector Mechanisms in Relation to the Internal &
External Milieux
Hematopoietic Malignancies and other Blood-cell Disorders in Drosophila
		   	Elisabeth Gateff, Ph.D.
	   		Johannes Gutenberg Universitat, Mainz, Germany
Chemical Toxicity and Host Defense Systems in Invertebrates
	   		Arthur J. Goven, Ph.D.
	   		University of North Texas, Denton, TX
Invertebrate Models for Studying Disease
	   		Carol L. Reinisch, Sc.D.
		   	Tufts University, North Grafton, MA
Immunomodulation by Invertebrate Marine Natural Products
		   	David W. Montgomery, Ph.D.
	   		VA Medical Center, Tucson, AZ

Registration and Housing Costs
Housing includes 3 meals per day and costs $68 (double occupancy) or $85
(single occupancy)
Registration:  Before 4/5/93:  NY Academy of Sciences Member, $210;
Nonmember $305; Resident or Fellow $160; Student or Emeritus Member $85;
One day only $125.  After 4/5/93:  NY Academy of Sciences Member, $235;
Nonmember $330; Resident or Fellow $160; Student or Emeritus Member $85;
One day only $125.

For more information or abstract submission contact:
Gregory Beck or Gail S. Habicht
Department of Pathology
SUNY @ Stony Brook
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8691
Voice:   516-444-3030
FAX:     516-444-3424
E mail:  GBeck at path.som.SUNYSB.edu
|*  Gregory Beck																				  		GBeck at path.som.SUNYSB.edu                        *|
|*  Department of Pathology                                                                                       *|
|*  State University of New York at Stony Brook                                                   *|
|*  Stony Brook, NY 11794-8691  USA                                                                       *|
|*  Telephone 516-444-3030                                                                                          *|
|*  FAX 516-444-3424                                                                                                     *|