What selfish genes prefer...

Jason E Stewart jasons at bmc.uu.se
Thu Feb 18 21:11:48 EST 1993

In article <9302161738.AA09632 at beloit.edu>, jonesbb at BELOIT.EDU (Ben Jones)
wrote:

> >>Ouch!!! You surely don't mean that a "selfish gene", by definition, must
>

> On the other hand, I am often amazed at the number of evolutionary
> scientists who think the book "The Selfish Gene" is good science rather
> than a well-written tirade against group selection.
> Ben Jones                  BioQUEST / Department of Biology
> jonesbb at beloit.edu         Beloit College, Beloit, Wisconsin

I, in turn, am amazed that the concept of the Selfish Gene is always
accredited to a popular science book as opposed to the work of the authors
who puplished the original papers:

Selfish DNA: the ultimate parasite. L.E. Orgel, and F.H.C. Crick. Nature
vol. 284, 17 april 1980 pp604-607

Selfish genes, the phenotype paradigm and genome evolution. W. Ford
Doolittle and Carmen Sapienza. Nature vol. 284, 17 april 1980 pp601-603

Jason.

Jason Stewart    	                      Father at large
Department of Medical Genetics
jasons at bmc.uu.se