Dawkins vs. Crick

aroger at ac.dal.ca aroger at ac.dal.ca
Mon Feb 22 23:02:50 EST 1993

In article <jasons-190293031421 at 130.238.36.9>, jasons at bmc.uu.se (Jason E Stewart) writes:
> Sigh,
>
> Dawkins published "The Selfish Gene" in 1976, and the Nature papers were
> published in 1980, so who came first?

Look, I thought that Arlin made the distinction between the so-called
selfish DNA hypothesis and Dawkins selfish genes pretty darn clear.  The
former is talking about intragenomic selection whereas the latter is
looking at classical evolutionary problems from a gene's point of view.
So as far as I can see both the 1980 Nature papers and Dawkins book were
proposing new ideas which are distinct from each other.

They both were first.

Andrew