The Nature, and Evolution of Intelligence

aroger at ac.dal.ca aroger at ac.dal.ca
Mon Jun 21 20:02:12 EST 1993

In article <1993Jun14.233610.5946 at cs.aukuni.ac.nz>, rwil2 at cs.aukuni.ac.nz (Roger Wayne     Willcocks      ) writes:
> I consider intelligence to be related to the ability and speed of
> adaptation that a member of a species can make to a perceived change in environment.  This could be real or abstract.

I agree with the other comment.  Speed definitely ought not be a
criterion for intelligence in this context.  Have you ever tried to catch
a hummingbird or even a frog?  Their response time is a fraction of
ours.
It would seem to me that those working in the field of artificial
intelligence would have probably been scratching their heads about the
real meaning of the word "intelligence".  I would be quite surprised if
it had slipped through the cracks of this particular field.  Whether or
not they have defined a quality that matches one to one with what we
would commonly regard as intelligence may be another matter.....
Does anyone have the answers?
Andrew Roger
Dept. of Biochem.
Dalhousie University