Message from Dr. Richard Dawkins

Jason E Stewart jasons at bmc.uu.se
Fri Mar 12 14:33:26 EST 1993

In article <SEB1005.93Mar8194728 at mbfs.bio.cam.ac.uk>, seb1005 at bio.cam.ac.uk
(Steven Brenner) wrote:
> The following message is posted on behalf of Dr. Richard Dawkins.
> >From RICHARD DAWKINS, Oxford University
> 3. You can imagine, therefore, how pissed off I was to read somebody on USENET
> saying how amazed he was "that the concept of the Selfish Gene is always
> accredited to a popular science book as opposed to the work of the authors who
> published the original papers" [Orgel & Crick etc]!  He seems to have retracted
> it, so I'll say no more.  Except to object to ANY sneering at so-called popular
> science books SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY ARE WRITTEN IN A STYLE THAT ANYONE CAN
> UNDERSTAND.

Being the guilty party referred to as "somebody" above, I can only
appologize once again for a hasty a poorly thought reply, which is not
typical of the majority of notes in this news group.

Being a victim of hasty writing, I find it worth repeating that a good
mantra for USENETting should be "think first, post only if necessary, reply
personally if not".

Jason.