directed evolution

frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Mon Mar 15 10:11:30 EST 1993

In article <1993Mar12.150329.3518 at jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca> sdryden at mta.ca writes:
>	The major amount of work in this field is being performed by
>University of Rochester molecular evolutionist Barry Hall and Princton's
>oncologist/molecular biologist John Cairns. One working with environmentally
>directed mutations in Escherichia coli (trp-,cys-) and E.coli unable to
>digest lactose.
>	From their work they were able to show that the bacteria were able
>to 'learne' how to generate their own usefull mutatation that was not random.
>These bactreia were making (directing) their own mutations in direct response
>to adverse environmental conditions.
>	By posting this , I am not trying to anger anyone,
Nobody's angry, they're intrigued. As much as the Special Creationists
would love to be able to discredit evolutionary theory, the experiments
of Cairns et al. pose no problem.

 However I would
>greatly appreciate any positive feedback on this topic. The articles that
>I managed to dig up were from 1988 and 1991. Does any body know of any new
>work in this field either for or against this theory and works.
>	Any reply on this subject would be appreciated if it is either
>posted in this news group or e-mailed to myself. This posting may also spark
>some dialect in the group on this interesting subject.
>
>				Stephen Dryden
>				BSc.Biol IV Mount Allison University
>				Sackvill, New Brunswick, Canada
>               ====E-MAIL====
>               SDRYDEN at MTA.CA
>               ==============
>        *******************************************************
>        ** "I came, I've learned, now all I can do is hope." **
>        *******************************************************

If you don't already have it, you should definitely read

Drake, J.W. (1991) Spontaneous Mutation, Ann. Rev. Genetics 25:125-146.

This review article summarizes experiments from a number of labs which
seem to demonstrate directed mutation, and critically discusses proposed
explanations of the results. I have not been routinely following this
area, but my impression is that the jury is still out with regards to
a satisfactory model for the phenomenon.

Brian Fristensky                |
Department of Plant Science     |  Which came first: the chicken,
University of Manitoba          |  or the egg?
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    |
frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca          |  The answer can be yours for only $19.95...
Office phone:   204-474-6085    |
FAX:            204-261-5732    |