"directed" evolution (repost)

ouzounis at embl-heidelberg.de ouzounis at embl-heidelberg.de
Thu Mar 25 18:31:19 EST 1993

In article <01GVPZ0NVCYU8ZECEF at DBV>, DRBH at DB1.CC.ROCHESTER.EDU writes:

> Dryden's note on Directed mutations is likely to produce the usual
> storm that is associataed with this topic, so I thought I'd set a few
> things straight from the beginning.

 I have been following the subject very closely for the last years, and
 I take this opportunity to ask a couple of questions. I am not an
 experimental molecular biologist myself, so excuse my ignorance.

> (3)	Those mutations can occur in non-dividing cells, and are time-dependent,not replication dependent.

 What does this REALLY mean? Does it imply that the genetic material is not
 replicated at all? If not, doesn't it follow that mutants can only arise
 through gene expression (something like Cairns' original proposition?)

> (6)	Selection-induced mutations have been shown to occur in at least 8
> loci in bacteria, and three loci in yeast.

 I would very much appreciate such a list of all known cases. It is much
 more reliable that an expert provides us a compilation, rather than each
 one of us searches the literature.

 Thank you all,

 Christos Ouzounis
 EMBL