Franklin Expedition

LMalburg UGG00500 at VM.UOGUELPH.CA
Thu May 20 20:23:05 EST 1993

     About 3 years ago I watched a documentary on the research that
was conducted on some of the frozen bodies of sailors from  the
Franklin ships in the artic. Among other things, such as the findings
indicating lead poisoning may have been a factor in the deaths of
sailors (from seal in seams of canned foods), the scientists involved
also took samples of intestine contents, etc...
     About one year later, in early 1990, I read in a short note in
the Toronto's Globe and Mail, that bacteria from the intestines of
those sailors showed resistance to present day's antibiotics. That
was taken as a new element to be considered in the theory of the
origins of antibiotic resistance (exposure and induction, transfer
horizontally from producer streptomyces strain in nature, etc, etc).
     I happened to mention that to a friend who is now very much
interested in putting his hands on a real paper about that. He says
he could'nt dig anything on Franklin Expedition in Biological
Abstracts from 5 years back.
     Does anybody knows the reference for the paper (if there was one)
or the names for some of the microbiologists involved?

     Thank you in advance...              L Malburg
                                          UGG00500 at VMUoGuelph.ca