information wanted about computer software for teaching genetics

R.E. Hickson RHickson at massey.ac.nz
Wed May 26 20:18:15 EST 1993

Hello in/out there

we would like to use computer programs in an undergraduate genetics
teaching course to illustrate mutational processes. Four problems in
particular are of interest and we wonder if there are software
programs/packages available for them:

1. A program illustrating the Luria-Delbruck mutation experiment, where
the timing and frequency of mutations can be manipulated.

2. Another classic experiment - this time modelling survival of cells
following UV irradiation. Or something similar contrasting Poisson-
distributed and normally-distributed mutation patterns.

3. A program illustrating genetic drift.

4. Finally we want a very simple program which illustrates the basics of
phylogeny reconstruction from DNA sequences. Rather than use a package
like PAUP or PHYLIP, we want a small example which works through
alignment, construction of distance matrices and the tree construction
so the students understand the underlying principles.

Any help on any or all of these will be very much appreciated. Replies
can be sent to this bulletin board or to me at:

R.Hickson at massey.ac.nz

Thanks

Robert Hickson.