origins of nucleic acids

aroger at ac.dal.ca aroger at ac.dal.ca
Thu May 27 13:41:26 EST 1993

In article <19930526170551CADYODD at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>, CADYODD at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (James Kalin) writes:
> I'M AN UNDERGRAD TAKING A GRADUATE MOLECULAR EVOLUTION CLASS AND I'M
> WRITING A REVIEW OF THE MAIN THEORIES REGARDING THE EARLY SYNTHESIS OF
> "THE MOLECULES OF LIFE", SPECIFICALLY NUCLEIC ACIDS, SINCE THESE SEEM
> TO BE THE MOST DIFFICULT TO "MAKE". THEY MAIN PEOPLE I KNOW ABOUT WHO
> HAVE EXPLORED THIS ISSUE ARE CAIRNS-SMITH, ORO, AND MILLER & UREY(?),
> THOUGH THE LAST GROUP ONLY FOUND AMINO, NOT NUCLEIC ACIDS. ANY
> REFERENCES AND OR SUGGESTIONS/COMMENTS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
> THANKS, JAMES 'DON'T THROW A COT CURVE' KALIN
Well just off of the top of my head there are two very active people
in this field that you do not mention: Leslie Orgel and Gerry Joyce.
A lot of experiments and thoughts on these matters are published in
the Journal of Molecular Evolution.  If you have more detailed questions
feel free to email me directly.....
Andrew Roger
Dept. of Biochemistry
Dalhousie University