Time to abandon the 'progenote' idea?

Usenet News news at cs.yale.edu
Mon Nov 1 16:18:49 EST 1993

In article <2b27c8$3iq$1 at uniwa.uwa.edu.au> andrewh at uniwa.uwa.edu.au (Andrew Hobbs) writes:

>One fact which I am not clear about since I haven't read the original
>article.  Did Woese imply that his progenote was the last common
>ancestor of modern organisms?  Many of the replies seem to be assuming
>that he did.  Yet the description seems to me to be compatible with it
>being an early RNA form which then evolved into the last common
>ancestor with its long DNA genes, highly evolved enzymes etc.
>Can anyone help.
>andrewh at uniwa.uwa.edu.au

In their 1977 paper Woese and Fox [Woese, C.R. and Fox, G.E.:
The concept of cellular evolution, 1977, J. Mol. Evol. 10, 1-6]
define the progenotic stage.  They conclude their paper as
"It is at this progenotic state, not the procaryote stage, that the
line of descent leading to the eucaryotic cytoplasm diverged from
the bacterial lines of descent."