is it time yet for sci.bio.evolution?

Eric Shafto shafto at aristotle.ils.nwu.edu
Fri Oct 1 08:06:31 EST 1993

Chris Colby (colby at bu.bu.edu) wrote:
: [t.o. = talk.origins]

: Would anyone be interested in a (minimally) moderated sci.bio.evolution
: board? T.o. is chock full of highly irrelevant threads these days and
: it is hard to find the signal amidst all the noise.

I will tell a story I heard recently.  In the days when racial housing
discrimination was even more widespread than it is today, almost no
amount of money or success could allow a black family to move from the
ghetto.  The result?  The ghetto was culturally, economically, and
socially enriched.

When it became permissible for middle-class blacks to move to the
suburbs, the ghetto was deprived.  Only the poor remained, and the
well-known problems of the inner city worsened dramatically, as
businesses failed or left, property values plummeted, etc.

The moral of my story:  Once all you smart people have moved to the
intellectual 'burbs, what's going to be left here on t.o?

Eric "No, don't leave me alone with them!" Shafto

--
*Eric Shafto             * I hope...to see the day when...in...our country*
*Institute for the       * we won't have any public schools.  The churches*