John Reed johnreed at
Wed Oct 6 14:54:06 EST 1993

I am interest in knowing whether parthanogenesis has evolved in the male
sex of any species.  I would presume not, for evolutionary reasons, but I
would like to know for sure.  I would also like to know other peoples
opinions as to why this has not occured.  My last question is simply: in
what types of organisms does parthanogenesis occur?  I know it occurs in
insects, what about other arthropods, plants (I believe it does), other
animals, fungi?  Thanks for any replies.

John Reed
College of Forest Resources, AR-10
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195