parthanogenesis

ROBERT BOOT, HERSTON MEDICAL LIBRARY mail_boot at uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au
Thu Oct 7 06:50:06 EST 1993

In article <28v7ou$f8d at news.u.washington.edu>, johnreed at stein1.u.washington.edu (John Reed) writes:
> I am interest in knowing whether parthanogenesis has evolved in the male
> sex of any species.  I would presume not, for evolutionary reasons, but I
> would like to know for sure.  I would also like to know other peoples
> opinions as to why this has not occured.  My last question is simply: in
> what types of organisms does parthanogenesis occur?  I know it occurs in
> insects, what about other arthropods, plants (I believe it does), other
> animals, fungi?  Thanks for any replies.

I know that parthenogenesis occurs in some lizards - There was an article on an
American desert species a year or two ago in Sci Am.
On males - they tend not to have the reproductive apparatus, perhaps? If males
had functioning female I suspect we would call them female. I do not think this
issue could be resolved chromosomally in all species. I understand that
crocodilian sex is determined by incubation temperature?