morphological data

Phil Kaaret kaaret at carmen.phys.columbia.edu
Thu Oct 14 17:44:29 EST 1993

I wuold like to known if there any (machine readable) data sets
that could be used to study the evolution of morphological
complexity.  Such data sets could be, for example, neural
patterns (or subsets) in mammals, images of the vascular
systems of plants, or traced sutures from Ammonoids
(see for example Boyajian and Lutz, Geology 20, 983 (1992)).
Most of the articles I have found suggesting quantitative
measures for morphological complexity apply the measure
to only a single data set (if at all) and do not make available
the raw data used to calculate the complexity.  It would be useful
to try out various measures on a number of different data sets.