Windows DNA Analysis Software

Jim Garey garey at next.duq.edu
Wed Oct 20 06:34:35 EST 1993

I have been using Genepro DNA analysis software for the past 7 years
under DOS on IBM compatibles.  I have not liked how the program has
been revised over the past few years (the user interface is not good
and the program has become more unstable as they add features) and I
have made the switch to Windows and would prefer a Windows DNA
analyis program.  I am not in a position to dump my two 486 machines
an buy Macs.  The features I use most are:

1. Genebank and PIR database searches (keyword and homology) from
CD-ROM (preferably the ENTREZ disks).

2. Dot matrix and alignment (Pearson preferably)

3. Sequence storage and retrieval.

4. Ability to use sonic digitizer for sequence input

5. Built in search for specific sequence motifs and ability to carry
out charge, hydropathy and other profiles.

6. Ability to assemble individual sequence runs into larger
sequences.

7. Most Important: A clean easy and integrated Windows interface.

8. Reasonable Cost. or better yet public domain.

9. I use other software for multiple alignment and tree building so
don't need it in this package.

Please send me info about the software you use that might fill my
needs.  I will summarize to molecular-evolution.net.bio.net in a few
weeks.   Thanks   Jim Garey    garey at next.duq.edu