the common mode of bacterial motility

Tim Ikeda timi at
Thu Apr 21 21:33:03 EST 1994

In article <1994Apr21.190914.23337 at dal1>, arlin at wrote:
> If these and a few other important characters (circular chromosomes,
> operons, shine-dalgarno sites, etc) were present in the common
> ancestor, as is likely, then archaebacteria and eubacteria have a
> common heritage that I would call "bacterial." [...]

Just an aside...
It's time to throw out the "bacteria only have circular chromosomes" idea.

See:  Davidson BE; MacDougall J; Saint Girons I. 1992.
  Physical map of the linear chromosome of the bacterium Borrelia
  burgdorferi 212, a causative agent of Lyme disease, and localization
  of rRNA genes. J. Bacteriol.174:3766-74.

The cool question is: What system/s does a bacterium use to maintain a
linear chromosome?

- Tim Ikeda (timi at