First or Sixth edition of Origin of Species

Robert Allan BJ_Allan at UManitoba.ca
Wed Aug 3 23:21:09 EST 1994

In article <1994Jul27.111547.1 at ahab>, scarr at kean.ucs.mun.ca wrote:

> The first edition is the clearest
> statement of Natural Selection, Darwin's key contribution. There is
> a facsimile reprint of the 1st ed published by Harvard (maybe out of
> print) and I believe the current Penguin/Pelican books edition is the
> 1st ed with an historical sketch taken from the last edition.
>
> The one to read is the first, not the sixth.

The Harvard facsimile edition (with an introduction by Ernst Mayr) is out
in paperback (I picked up a copy at the Harvard Square Book Store when I
was in Boston last month). The ISBN is 0-674-63752-6.
--
*  Robert (BJ) Allan                     "Natura nusquam magis est  *
*  University of Manitoba                 tota quam in minimus."    *