Theories of Evolution

Richard Gordon gordonr at CC.UManitoba.CA
Sat Aug 20 09:34:41 EST 1994

There are two problems with the simple idea that entropy increase is
incompatible with evolution: 1) biological evolution occurs in open,
nonequilibrium systems, which can actually provide organized pathways
for increased entropy production; 2) in an expanding universe (and
perhaps an expanding diversity of creatures), the value of the maximum
entropy keeps increasing. See:

Brooks, D. R. & E. O. Wiley (1986). Evolution as Entropy, Toward a Unified
Theory of Biology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Brooks, D. R. & E. O. Wiley,  (1988). Evolution as Entropy, Toward a
Unified Theory of Biology,  (rev. ed.) Chicago: University of Chicago
Press.
Seielstad, G. A. (1989). At the Heart of the Web: The Inevitable Genesis
of Intelligent Life. Boston: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich.
Weber, B. H., D. J. Depew & J. D. Smith (eds.),  (1988). Entropy,
Information, and Evolution: New Perspectives on Physical and Biological
Evolution,  Cambridge: MIT Press.

-Dick Gordon, U. Manitoba[Aug20,94]