Theories of Evolution

Wolfgang Wuster bss166 at clss1.bangor.ac.uk
Sat Aug 20 04:31:14 EST 1994

Robert S. McKee (rs_mckee at pnl.gov) wrote:
: In article <brjot1.29.2E5045A0 at MFS01.cc.monash.edu.au>, brjot1 at MFS01.cc.monash.edu.au (Benjamin Jotkowitz) says:
: >
: >Could someone please explain to me simply the theories of Darwin, Lamarck
: >and others on human evolution. References would also be appreciated.
: >        With thanks in advance,
: >                Benji.
:
: Simply stated, evolution is the belief that physical systems (in this case biological systems)
: spontaneously through random processes organize themselves into states of
: higher-order.
Not necessarily. Most evolution does not result in a state of greater
complexity.
: Unfortunately, this violates the entropy laws which tell us that all physical
: systems tend toward greater disorder.

..which laws only operate in a closed system. The Earth is not a closed
system, as it constantly receives energy input from space.
The brain-dead creationist view of thermodynamics would also prohibit
the growth of a bundle of cells into a fully formed being.

: Ref:  Thermodynamics With an Introduction to Thermostatistics,
: Herbert B. Callen, 3rd ed.
:
I don't think I will waste any more time dealing with this ooooooooold
argument...

Wolfgang Wuster