Phylogeny representation on a geological time scale

Joe Felsenstein joe at evolution.u.washington.edu
Sat Aug 20 18:28:16 EST 1994

In article <940820.082713.PDT.AMCARTHU at uvvm.uvic.ca>,
Andrew McArthur <AMCARTHU at UVVM.UVIC.CA> wrote:

>Does anyone know of a good computer program (IBM or Mac) for creating figures
>representing phylogenies on a geological time scale?

If you mean drawing the phylogeny, with a time scale drawn onto the
diagram automatically, using a conversion of branch length to time provided
by you, and with geological epochs represented, I don't think any program to
do so exists.  Some tree-drawing programs (such as mine) can output to a
file format readable by draw programs, and you could then add the time
scale yourself.

(Sometimes people mean "infer a tree" when they say "draw a tree": I assume
you really meant "draw", and that would provide the tree.)

[Note -- my true e-mail address is given below -- the one generated if you do a
Reply is probably wrong owing to misconfiguration of our mail reader].
-----
 Internet:         joe at genetics.washington.edu     (IP No. 128.95.12.41)