Theories of Evolution

RYBICKI, ED ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Tue Aug 23 02:21:07 EST 1994

> Here's a twist on evolution.  It may or may not hold up to
> scientific scrutiny...With more ecological niches being filled in
> (arguably) more interesting ways, the need for any given
> species to adapt behaviorally is more pressing.  And so
> behaviors and the underlying neurological mechanisms become
> more complex.  This is how intelligence evolves.
>
> ...well, maybe.
>
> any comments?

Yes.  Read "Ringworld" and "The Ringworld Engineers", by Larry
Niven.  He thinks so too - except his bioplane (=strip of habitat
the length of a planetary orbit) was colonised in every niche
possible by humanoids...you should see some of his adaptations.
 | Ed Rybicki, PhD          |         Well, I tip my hat           |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)     |      To the new constitution         |
 | Dept Microbiology        | Take a bow for the new revolution... |
 | University of Cape Town  |  Then I get on my knees and pray     |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |   We don't get get fooled again...   |
 | 7700, South Africa       |                                      |
 | fax: xx27-21-650 4023    |      - Pete Townshend, 1972          |
 | tel: xx27-21-650 3265    |      (Won't get fooled again)        |