Theories of Evolution

Robert S. McKee rs_mckee at pnl.gov
Wed Aug 24 19:14:28 EST 1994

In article <1994Aug21.194037.1 at ucsvax>, jdwren at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu (DON'T DRINK AND PARK --- ACCIDENTS CAUSE PEOPLE) says:

>In article <333gnf$tk at bbs.pnl.gov>, rs_mckee at pnl.gov (Robert S. McKee) writes:
>>>
>>>Could someone please explain to me simply the theories of Darwin, Lamarck
>>>and others on human evolution. References would also be appreciated.
>>>

>> Simply stated, evolution is the belief that physical systems (in this
>> case biological systems)
>> spontaneously through random processes organize themselves into states of
>> higher-order.  Unfortunately, this violates the entropy laws which tell
>> us that all physical systems tend toward greater disorder.
>> Ref:  Thermodynamics With an Introduction to Thermostatistics,
>> Herbert B. Callen, 3rd ed.
>
>        Actually, the law of entropy (also known as the 2nd law of
>thermodynamics) applies to CLOSED systems. The Earth is not a closed
>system, it receives energy input from the sun. Nice try, reverend.
>

>                              <-- Jonathan Wren -->
>     OOOOOOOOO
>    OO       OO
>    OO   UU  OO   UU        The University of Oklahoma
>    OO   UU  OO   UU
>    OO   UU  OO   UU
>    OO   UU  OO   UU
>     OOOOUUOOO    UU
>         UU       UU
>          UUUUUUUUU

Thanks for the complement...however, I am an engineer by education.
I might point out the application of the laws of thermodynamics to
OPEN systems is standard engineering practice, and has been for
over a century...the closed system is merely a mathematical abstraction.
All real systems are open.	-- RS McKee