Evolution of Sex Determination

Penniman B. Austin seq4 at sfsuvax1.sfsu.edu
Fri Dec 9 07:36:06 EST 1994

Dear Hernan,

Since the SRY gene was discovered in 1990, deletions of the gene have been
demonstrated in XY sex-reversed females. More recently, sex reversal has been
shown to occur in XY individuals with intact SRY genes, due to an overdose
of the X chromosome-linked SRVX/DSS gene. There is also an SRY homologue
on the X chromosome SOX3, which appears to be either the ancestor to SRY,
or to have evolved from a common ancestor. Do you know whether the SOX3
genes in sex reversed individuals are intact in XY female individuals? If
the SOX3 gene is found to have deletions in those with an intact  SRY
gene, this would deepen our understanding of the sex determination process
and investigate whether SOX3 plays any testis-determining role.
   The XX sex-reversed males studied so far have been discovered to have a
piece of the Y chromosome imbedded in the second X chromosome. Do you know
of any DNA studies done to determine whether  SOX3 and/or SRVX/DSS are
different in dosage or have deletions in sex reversed XX males when
compared with XX females? Do SOX3 and SRVX/DSS undergo or escape
X-inactivation under normal circumstances?

See Bardoni, et al (1994). A dosage sensitive locus at chromosome Xp21 is
involved in male to female sex reversal. Nat. Genet. 7:497-501.
Arn, P., et al (1994). SRVX, a sex reversing locus in Xp21,2->p22.11. Hum.
Genet. 93:389-393.
Foster, J.W., and Graves, J.A. (1994). An SRY-related sequence on the
marsupial X chromosome: implications for the evolution of the mammalian
testis-determining
gene.

Regards, Penniman