HSP phylogeny?

S. LaBonne labonnes at csc.albany.edu
Thu Dec 15 09:56:01 EST 1994

In article <PWLEPP-151294102114 at schmidt2.mph.msu.edu>,
Paul Lepp <PWLEPP at rrn.mph.msu.edu> wrote:
>A few months ago there was a discussion here about phylogenies based on
>heat shock proteins and a number of other proteins.  From what I remember
>it seemed that the argument was made that eukaryotes could have arisen from
>the fusion of a gram pos. and an archea.  Could someone be so kind as to
>pass along a few cites on the HSPs and the gram pos./archea  connection.
>Much appreciated.

I don't remember this reference, but I do think it's pointless to pick
on one or a few protein families and try to draw definitive
conclusions.  For a recent compilation of analyses of a wide variety
of protein sequences see Doolittle and Brown (1994)PNAS 91: 6721-28.
They present lists of sequences supporting each of four possible
rootings for the universal tree.  A plurality of the sequence sets
supported the Iwabe et al. rooting (first branch being divergence of
Bacteria form the common ancestor of Eukarya and Archaea)but as there
were a number of sequences supporting each of the other three rootings,
Doolittle and Brown are appropriately conservative in their conclusions.

--
Steve LaBonne *********************** (labonnes at csc.albany.edu)
"It can never be satisfied, the mind, never." - Wallace Stevens