HSP70 evolution

S. LaBonne labonnes at csc.albany.edu
Fri Dec 16 10:58:20 EST 1994

In article <D0v1J3.DB9 at gpu.utcc.utoronto.ca>,
L.A. Moran <lamoran at gpu.utcc.utoronto.ca> wrote:

>Of course, another possibility is that the Three Domain Hypothesis is wrong
>and the HSP70 dendrogram is a true representation of the actual species
>phylogeny.

And why should we choose to believe _that_, when there are many sequences that
_do_ support the Iwabe et al. rooting?  Allow me to refer you also to
the Doolittle and Brown symposium paper (PNAS 91: 6721-28, 1994).

None of the possible universal trees can be refuted by a single gene phylogeny;
if such a procedure were accepted we would have to conclude that they
have _all_ been falsified.  What then- special creation? ;-)
--
Steve LaBonne *********************** (labonnes at csc.albany.edu)
"It can never be satisfied, the mind, never." - Wallace Stevens