About segmentation.

schierh at rocbi.DNET.roche.com schierh at rocbi.DNET.roche.com
Mon Dec 19 12:44:06 EST 1994

        In relation between segmentation of the organisms
and homeotic genes:
        It seems that the general view is that the
"appearance" and evolution of homeotic genes involved
consistently the "appearance" and evolution of
segmentation.
        However, there also exist homeotic genes in
non segmented animals.

        Could we expect, perhaps, that homeotic genes
could "see" each segment as a whole, a non segmented
organism, similarly to these genes in a non segmented
individual?

        Also, could anyone tell me something about the
origin of the correlation between the arrangement of
hometic genes in each cluster and the expression domain
in the embryonic body?

Thank you very much :-)

Hernan L Schier
Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales,
University of Buenos Aires
schierh at rocbi.dnet.roche.com