Milk Gene

Braxton bsheaff at epix.net
Wed Dec 21 23:45:28 EST 1994

In article <smh1008-211294180857 at crcmac2.path.cam.ac.uk>,
smh1008 at cus.cam.ac.uk (David Huen) wrote:

> And as a lactose-intolerant Oriental, I wonder why lactose is so uniquely a
> component of milk?

     David-

          This is Bill Sheaffer and I posed the original
question-fortunately I am writing a book on local history and do not have
to face a group of scholars citiquing my research, so I will as you, "Have
you found with others of oriental descent, that there is a large frequency
of lactose intolerance?" I would suspect not, as I have read, in times of
famine in China, the elderly would nurse from young mothers and that in
certain segments of the society, mothers nursed their children into the
early teens-possibly as a way to reduce pregnancy. Though this doesn't
seem practical as I have heard to stymie ovulation, nursing needs to be
done on the order of 12 times a day.

                                             Bill Sheaffer