student journal club subgroup

Petur Henry Petersen php at rhi.hi.is
Wed Dec 28 07:07:16 EST 1994

In <Pine.SUN.3.91.941227162227.1886D-100000 at unixg.ubc.ca> eastmana at UNIXG.UBC.CA (Ann Eastman) writes:

>On 27 Dec 1994, Steven Sullivan wrote:

>> Daniel Storey (storey at rocket.cc.umr.edu) wrote:
>>

>" World peace? Darwin stated that evolution is dependent on survival of
>the fittest. War allows this to take place."
>
>What a ludicrous statement.  War "selects" for nothing.

	uhu... I dont know what this is doing under molbio but... I
think Daniel is only saying that war is natural ( and disease too).. I
dont think that is called "social darwinism". Does it matter whether
war selects for something or not(fitness is not a measure of
selection) ? In my opinion it probably does select for something. I
think that a better direction of thinking would be to accept daniels
statement and say ok if we do not prevent this from happening
(overpopulation) we will have trouble one way or the other so lets try
to fight the cause but not the problem. This can of course be done in
social darwinism ways and that is the attitude one should fight not the
recognition of the problem....

	Dont flame me too much...

	Petur Henry
	U.Iceland