carrying capacity for humans

D. Z. Skinner dzolek at ksu.ksu.edu
Thu Dec 29 11:55:42 EST 1994

There has been a lot of discussion, spawned by Daniel Story, concerning
whether war and other factors are necessary evils of the human condition.
I don't care to contribute to that discussion, but I would like to bring up
two relevant stats I recently read in the popular press.  These are that
35,000 people starve to death every _DAY_, and that of the approximately 6
billion people on the planet today, 5.3 billion are desperately poor.
Desperately poor is defined as not having food reserves, or access to food
reserves, of more than one day's worth for much of the persons life.  I am
not a social scientist, so I'd like to know if anyone can verify these
stats, and if they are true, let's pose the question, are we not already at
or past carrying capacity of the human species? 35,000 people starving to
death each day does not sound like a positive attribute of a meaningful
society (in the sense that all of humankind is one society).  Where do we
go from here?

Daniel Z. Skinner
dzolek at ksu.ksu.edu

USDA-ARS and Agronomy