supercomputer access

fzestabr at fzestabr at
Wed Jan 19 19:38:46 EST 1994

Jack Kramer (kramer at wrote:
: I haven't seen any recent solitations for free access to any of the
: national supercomputer centers lately, so:

: Does anyone know of any free access available at any supercomputer
: center where PHYLIP is or could be used?  I have large data sets of

I currently have access to the supercomputer facilities in Pittsburgh.
Basically all I do is use the programs for sequence analysis. But I do
think that they allow people to do other research activities and they
have a large cluster of software packages. I don't know specifically
about PHYLIP though.

I have an account there and I got it by writing a very basic proposal.
The proposals are written more for the required red tape because
NSF provides funding for the facilities. So you fill out a proposal and
request for a specific amount of supercomputer use time, no money required.

The only address I have is:
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
Mellon Institute Buidling
4400 Fifth Avenue