Alu sequences and human evolution

FOSTERCMD fostercmd at aol.com
Tue Jul 19 21:25:04 EST 1994

In article <30fhlj$7vf at search01.news.aol.com>, fostercmd at aol.com
(FOSTERCMD) writes:

Sean, you are right. I am to sensitive. I apologize to all.  I will harden
up
and take the punches as they come.  So lets have everyone start punching
so that these ideas can be thrashed around and maybe something stimulating
and truthfull can come out of the process.  In the meantime I am following
up on the suggestions that all have given.
     I have another question.   If the difference in dna sequence
similarity is less
than 5% b/w man and chimpanzee then what percent of that diffference can
be ascribed to the high rate of repetivtive sequence (ie. alu family)
dissimilarity (both in insertion sites, type and number of
family/subfamily members, and number of tandem repeats)? Prelimary review
of literature suggests the following necessary data; 1. 500,000 alu family
members per haploid genome,
         2.a minimum oligomeric size of 6 (?)/ alu sequence,
         3. ? 50,000 uniquely human sequences (PV subfamily).
        4. An average of 1 alu sequence every 4 kilobases
IF one knows the total size of the human haploid genome in terms of
nucleotides then the answer to my question depends on the preceeding
assumptions as well as further knowledge of the % difference and frequency
in the other 450,000  family members.
     If anyone has further data to provide or can make corrections to the
above then please feel free to post your information.
Love to all,  Foster