Information re: maximum parsimony

RYBICKI, ED ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Thu Jul 21 02:38:27 EST 1994

> I have read PAUP (Swofford) and MacClade manuals, but wish to know
more
> about the value and limitations of maximum parsimony and other
tree-making
> methods for amino-acid sequence alignments.  I would appreciate
some
> recommended reading material.

Very little better than Swofford's chapter in:

"Molecular Systematics" (DM Hillis and C Moritz, Eds.), Sinauer
Associates, 1990.  ISBN 0-87893-279-8

or Jotun Hein's and Doolittle's chapters in:

"Molecular Evolution: Computer Analysis of Protein and Nucleic Acid
Sequences" (RF Doolittle, Ed.).  Methods in Enzymology Vol. 183,
Academic Press, 1990.  ISBN 0-12-182084-X

Enjoy...some very weighty reading ahead!
 | Ed Rybicki, PhD          |         Well, I tip my hat           |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)     |      To the new constitution         |
 | Dept Microbiology        | Take a bow for the new revolution... |
 | University of Cape Town  |  Then I get on my knees and pray     |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |   We don't get get fooled again...   |
 | 7700, South Africa       |                                      |
 | fax: xx27-21-650 4023    |      - Pete Townshend, 1972          |
 | tel: xx27-21-650 3265    |      (Won't get fooled again)        |