Alu sequences and human evolution

FOSTERCMD fostercmd at aol.com
Thu Jul 21 04:16:02 EST 1994

In article <30fhlj$7vf at search01.news.aol.com>, fostercmd at aol.com
(FOSTERCMD) writes:

Subj:	Alu sequences and human evolution
Date:	94-07-19 14:50:24 EDT
From:	bratty at medcn.umontreal.ca
To:	FOSTERCMD

   I am attempting to collect information on theories or ideas for the
origin
   of Alu
   sequences.  My recollection from medical school days at Stanford is
that
   they are uniquely human and have resemblances to LTV regions of
   retroviruses. Is this correct?   I am building a theory of evolution
which
   postulates that viral integration
   into germ lines has played a significant role during the punctuated
   periods in the
   evolutionary history of life on earth.   It is my belief that specific
   types of viruses
   originate from beyond earth,  arrive via comet vectors and their tail
   debris, rain on
   earth and cause episodic jumps in the evolution of life.   I am
attempting
   to collect
   material to further expand or refute this theory.   Does anybody have
   suggestions
   or thoughts to share?.....

   Thanks   Foster P. Carr MD  7/18/94  fostercmd at aol.com

I don't have the reference in front of me, but you should be able to
find a recent article about the evolution of alu sequences by looking
for papers by Dr. Damien LABUDA in any of the indexes, such as Medline
or Science citation index, etc.  Good Luck.

John Bratty        bratty at medcn.umontreal.ca
Dept. de Biochimie
Universite de Montreal      (514) 343-6111, ext. 5165
Montreal, Canada H3C 3J7