Seeking a reference to C Darwin's definitive work

Warren Lathe madda at troi.cc.rochester.edu
Tue Jul 26 09:10:37 EST 1994

In <dld.775218200 at bruce.cs.monash.edu.au> dld at cs.monash.edu.au (David L Dowe) writes:

>   I understand that Darwin postulates his theory of the "survival of the
>fittest" in (please correct me if I'm wrong) 'The origin of (the) species'.

>I would appreciate references to places where Darwin cites this theory,
>including a complete reference to 'The origin of (the) species'.

>My intention is to cite (some of) these in academic work.

>Thank you.    - David D.

>(Dr.) David Dowe, Dept of Computer Science, Monash University, Clayton,
>Victoria 3168, Australia           dld at bruce.cs.monash.edu.au
>Fax:+61 3 905-5146

Dr Dowe,

"On the Origin of Species" is definately Darwin's definitive work outlining
his theory of Natural Selection.  Here is a complete reference:

Darwin, C., On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection. London:
     Murray, 1859.

There are several other works by Darwin which either further support
his ideas or were continuations of his research, etc. Here are some of those:

Darwin, C., The Structure and Distribution of C oral Reefs.  London: Smith,
     Elder,  1842.

Darwin, C., Journal of Researches into the Geology and Natural History of
     the Countries visited During the Voyage of H.M.S. Beagle Round the
     World (2nd ed. London: Murray, 1845.

Darwin, C., On the tendency of Species to form varieties; and on the
     perpetuation of varieties and species by natural means of selection.  J.
     Proc. Linn. Soc. (Zoll.) 3:45-62, 1858.

Darwin, C., The Variation of Animals and Plants under Domestication.
     London: Murray, 1868.

Darwin, C., The Descent of Man, and selection in Relation to Sex. London:
     Murray,  1874.

Darwin, C., The Different Forms of Flowers on Plants of the Same Species.
     London: Murray, 1877.

There are several others including The Formation of Vegetable Mould, through
     the Action of Worms with Observations on their Habits, The Power of
     Movements in Plants, Insectivorous Plants, The Expression of the Emotions
     in Man and Animals, The Autobiography of Charles Darwin, etc,  but
     that should keep you busy :-).

  Trey

Warren C. Lathe III
Biology Dept.  University of Rochester
email: trey at thelab.biology.rochester.edu
The juvenile seasquirt wanders through the sea searching for a suitable rock
or coral to cling to and make its home for life. For this task it has a
rudimentary nervous system. When it finds its spot and takes root, it
doesn't need its brain anymore so it eats it.It's rather like getting tenure.