receptor evolution

Brian Foley brianf at med.uvm.edu
Tue Jun 7 15:55:15 EST 1994

Jehangir K. Tajik (tajik at everest.radiology.uiowa.edu) wrote:

: I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how a particular receptor evolved
: for a given
: ligand.  I think I read somewhere a couple years back that the receptor
: for a given
: ligand was transcribed from the oppsite DNA strand that the ligand
: was transcribed
: from.  Any ideas?

	While I can't tell you how receptors and ligands evolved, I can
tell you that they are not necessarily transcribed from opposite strands
of DNA (although statistics would tell us that they will be approximately
50% of the time in cases where they are transcribed from the same
DNA molecule, i.e. the same chromosome).  In most cases, the ligand and the
receptor genes will be on different chromosomes, making any statement
about opposite or same strand of DNA meaningless.
	There are hundreds to thousands of different types of receptors
and ligands.  Many ligands are not even genetically encoded proteins, they
are more simple steroids and other smaller molecules.  Thus there
are likely to be many different ways which receptor-ligand pairs evolved.
The wings of insects, bats and birds all evolved under different conditions
and so too did the receptors for insulin, alpha mating pheromone and
glucocorticoids.

: Regards,
: Jehangir

: Jehangir K. Tajik                                       Phone: 319-356-1381
: Division of Physiologic Imaging                           FAX: 319-356-1503
: Department of Radiology
: University of Iowa College of Medicine
: Iowa City, IA  52242                      tajik at everest.radiology.uiowa.edu