interspecies promoter evolution

Tony Long tdlong at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jun 8 12:57:41 EST 1994

		There was also a paper in the most recent GENETICs in which a group from
Stanford made some transgeneic flies with different bicoid constructs
containing  same species promotors and different species coding regions.
The paper is phrased in the context of showing that bicoid (and related
early PF genes) are functionally conserved.  Cathy Laurie also did similar
experiments with Adh in the late 80's.

		I have noticed a trend toward this sort of thing in developmental
biologists. What is the question here?  DO these experiments really have
the power to detect the biologically important differences in the genes
that do result in species specific difference?  I think this is what we are
really interested in as evolutions (developmental biologists may have
different goals). I don't think these experiments will tell us much along
these lines until Drosophilists have Engels' style gene replacement
technologies really working well.

Tony Long
Center for Population Biology
U. C. Davis