receptor evolution

Lee F. FrankKolakowski lfk at receptor.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 9 08:35:25 EST 1994

On 5 Jun 1994 20:54:56 GMT,
tajik at everest.radiology.uiowa.edu (Jehangir K. Tajik) said:
> I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how a particular receptor
> evolved for a given ligand.  I think I read somewhere a couple years
> back that the receptor for a given ligand was transcribed from the
> oppsite DNA strand that the ligand was transcribed from.  Any ideas?

I have been studing the evolution of G protein-coupled receptors for a
while using the techniques of molecular phylogeny, and as far as I can
tell, there is little or no evidence for the co-localization of
peptide ligands for these receptors and the receptor genes.

Futher, information about the co-evolution of ligands and receptors is
lacking. In order to make a suitable study of this kind of question,
one would need a number of related receptors and ligands from a
suitably large number of species, and as yet, that kind of data does
not exist.

Also, there is ample evidence that G proteins, G protein-coupled
receptors, and peptide ligands for these receptors exist well before
the Precambrian, so the likely scenario of co-evolution is taking
place across a very long period of time.

--
Frank Kolakowski

O Email: lfk at receptor.mgh.harvard.edu                                  O
O        kolakowski at helix.mgh.harvard.edu                              O
O        lfk at eastman1.mit.edu                                          O
O US Mail: Lee F. Kolakowski        Renal Unit, 8th Flr.               O
O Massachusetts General Hospital    Charlestown Navy Yard              O
O 149 13th Street                   FAX       :  1-617-726-5669        O
O Charlestown, MA 02129             Phone AT&T:  1-617-726-5666        O