DNA length

Henrik Kibak hkibak at leland.Stanford.EDU
Thu Jun 9 16:58:39 EST 1994

In article <Alan.031q at zarquon.demon.co.uk>,
Alan Wong <atc.wong at ic.ac.uk> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I was wondering if anyone can shed light on some things for me.
>Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.

The best question to ask would be, "Where can I take an introductory
biology class?"

>Q1. Is the length of the DNA the same among all members of the
>    same species?

	Not necessarily.

>Q2. Are the lengths of DNA in different species all different?

	It would surprise me if they are not, but I don't know of
	any eukaryote where the length of the DNA is precisely known.

>Q3. Can offspring of a species have different length DNA from
>    their parents and survive?

	Certainly.

>Q4. If Q2=Yes, how do evolutionists explain how the DNA length
>    changes during evolution into a new species?

	"Evolutionists" would say, "We all make mistakes!"

>Thanks for any replies.
>
>Alan Wong (atc.wong at ic.ac.uk)

You're welcome :-)
-Henrik Kibak