"Logic of Cladistics"

Henrik Kibak hkibak at leland.Stanford.EDU
Sun Jun 12 22:38:08 EST 1994

>>    Suppose you sequenced the entire genome of your favorite organisms
>>    etc...

> No, it would not neccessarily be the 'true' tree.  It would definitely be the
> best tree based on sequence data.  Follow-up questions would be what do
> morphological data tell you?  What does trasnversional weight tell you?
> What about changing the code into amino acids?  what about proteins'
> tertiary structure like helices and sheets? And on and on.

This has me, an evolution novice, quite confused... since morphology,
aminoacid sequence, protein structure etc.. is a consequence of the
genomic sequence, how can that data tell you more?!!

|| Henrik Kibak                   || Email: hkibak at leland.stanford.edu ||
|| Stanford University            || Telephone:  408.655.6227          ||
|| Hopkins Marine Station         || Fax: 408.375.0793                 ||
|| Pacific Grove CA 93950 USA     || Laboratory: David Epel            ||