Status of selection-induced mutation

Warren Gallin wgallin at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Mon Jun 13 14:10:30 EST 1994

In Article <01HDHVYUBBF694ECYS at VAX.CS.HSCSYR.EDU>,
HIGGINSS at VAX.CS.HSCSYR.EDU ("SEAN M. HIGGINS") wrote:
>Hello,
>
>What is the current state of selection-induced mutation work?  The
>latest entry in to the literature that I am aware of is Hall (1993);
>in which, it is stated:
>
>"At this time, there is not a robust model to account for selection-
>induced mutations."
>
>Is this still the case?  Have I missed more recent entries in the
>literature?  What is the current thinking/conversation of those
>individuals concerned with this topic?
>
>Any help will be greatly appreciated!

There was a paper in Science in March 1994, I believe, Harris et al.  They
showed that selection-induced mutation required an intact recombination
system, i.e. mutants in several different genes for recombination did not
undergo the selection-induced mutations.
   This suggests to me that what they may be looking at are stimulus-induced
transcription leading to increased susceptibility to recombination, which
could be producing som non-homologous repair of the transcriptionally active
gene.  That would in turn imply that the selection-induiced mutaions should
not be seen in regions of the gene that are not transcribed (i.e cis
regulatory elements).
   Does anyone have any data that might address this idea?

Warren Gallin,
Department of Zoology, University of Alberta
wgallin at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca