How to generate all possible evol. trees

Mark Siddall mes at
Wed Jun 22 12:51:40 EST 1994

As was posted, PAUP will do this, BUT it becomes enormously long to do
this for more than 11 taxa, the reason is the following:

     3                          1
     6                        105
     9                    135,135
    10                 2 x 10^6
    15                 8 x 10^12

you get the idea.

For large numbers of taxa, PAUP can generate random trees and examine the
number of steps a matrix requires for explanation on that tree.  It uses
an all trees equiprobable model.

In addition, my software, Random Cladistics, (avail. free by ftp to as compressed util RANDOM.EXE in directory pub) will
do the same but uses a Markovian tree-growth model for random trees.
You must have your own copy of Hennig86 for my software to be of use.

Good luck.

mes at                    I object to a cut-rate one"
Gloucester Point, VA, 23062