Wilke article on dominance

John Logsdon jlogsdon at bio.indiana.edu
Thu Mar 24 14:12:55 EST 1994

In article <1994Mar24.155934.481 at midway.uchicago.edu> Mark D. Garfinkel,
mg16 at ellis.uchicago.edu writes:
>>Wilke, AOM (1994) The molecular basis of genetic dominance.  J Med
Genet.
>>31: 89-98.
>>
>>He discusses eight categories of dominance [in molecular terms]
>
>For the historically inclined, Hermann J. Muller (1932, Further
>studies on the nature and causes of gene mutations. Int. Congr.
>Genet. 6: 213-255) discusses many of these same issues in terms
>of a pre-DNA genetic formalism. Muller's coined terms "amorph,"
>"hypomorph," "hypermorph," "antimorph," and "neomorph" are still
>widely used in Drosophila genetics.

One of the useful things about the article I cited is that he explictly
draws parallels between the Muller-coined genetic terms (which are useful
although somewhat daunting the first time one learns them ;-} ) and
possible molecular explanations (see his Figure 2).
John Logsdon         Department of Biology
                     Indiana University
                     Bloomington, IN  47405
                     (812) 855-2549
                     (812) 855-6705 fax