phage models

Mike Zwick mezwick at ucdavis.edu
Tue May 3 09:56:30 EST 1994

In article <2q5mpf$17q at brachio.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE>,
joaccigh at w354zrz.zrz.tu-berlin.de (Joachim Dagg) wrote:

> Because Mike complains about the proceeding of building models after
> making experiments, that can explain the results, I cite H.R.Erwin:

I wasn't complaining about making models afterwards, instead I was
questioning the assertion that an optimality model a priori somehow
predicted that phage formation should proceed in a specific sequence.  The
real scenaro was that someone did experiments and then later made a model.
However, the predictions of the model cannot rule out that there may be
other (perhaps hypothetical) types of phage that develop through a
completely different mechanism (one that is not predicted by the model nor
consistent with the parameters of the model).

--
mike zwick
mezwick at ucdavis.edu
Department of Ecology and Evolution