Transition/Transversion Ratios

Elliot Lefkowitz Lefkowitz at
Thu May 12 09:50:46 EST 1994

It seems to be taken as given in the literature discussing nucleotide
sequence mutagenesis, that transition mutations generally predominate over
tranversions. What I have missed in all the papers that take this as an
axiom is any reference to a publication that rigorously examined this
question. Can anyone point me to such a reference? Is there sufficient
evidence to conclude that transitions do predominate over transversions, or
were these conclusions reached (and then taken as gospel) by analysis of a
much too limited dataset?

*        Elliot J. Lefkowitz, Ph.D.      *
*          University of Alabama         *
* Biological Computing Resource Facility *
*        Department of Microbiology      *
*        Birmingham, AL 35294-2170       *
*        Lefkowitz at     *