Evolutionary significance of RNA-containing enzymes

S. LaBonne labonnes at csc.albany.edu
Fri Oct 7 13:46:09 EST 1994

In article <DRW.94Oct6155146 at taylor.mit.edu>,
Dale R. Worley <drw at taylor.mit.edu> wrote:

>On the other hand, both the eubacteria and the achaeobacteria lack
>introns, whereas the eukaryotes have introns, which would suggest that
>introns arose only in the early ancestors of the eukaryotes.

Guess again!  Bacteria have self-splicing introns belongings to both
Groups I and II (Group II introns _may_ be the ancestors of spliceosomal
introns), and archaea have protein-spliced tRNA introns like those of
eukaryotes.

If you are interested in this field, get hold of a copy of _The RNA World_,
eds. Raymond Gesteland and John F. Atkins (Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
Press, 1993).  It's a fascinating book that should by now be in any decent
life science library.

--
Steve LaBonne *********************** (labonnes at csc.albany.edu)
"It can never be satisfied, the mind, never." - Wallace Stevens