Evolutionary tree of *all* proteins

RYBICKI, ED ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Fri Oct 14 02:54:17 EST 1994

> From:          mcdonald at wsuhub.uc.twsu.edu
> Subject:       Re: Evolutionary tree of *all* proteins
> evolution by sequence convergence.  It is quite possible
> that, for some important cellular functions, there are
> a few protein motifs that outperform all others.  Therefore,
> there may be strong selection among some proteins to
> develop such a motif.  The point is that, in this scenario,
> we have proteins becoming more similar in sequence due to
> selection over time (i.e., convergent evolution).
> comparative genetic maps, etc.).  Otherwise, I think sequence
> difference gives a good estimate of evolutionary distance
> but does not necessarily reveal the direction of evolution
> (i.e., are the proteins headed their seperate ways or are
> they on a collision course?).

Ah, but DO protein sequences ever converge?  I know a lot of people
have said they do, but at least one rather authoratative figure has
recently said that they do NOT - at least, not in such a way as to
obscure their phylogenies (Doolittle RF, (1994).  Convergent
evolution: the need to be explicit.  Trends in Biochemical Sciences
19: 15-18).

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD          |         Well, I tip my hat           |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)     |      To the new constitution         |
 | Dept Microbiology        | Take a bow for the new revolution... |
 | University of Cape Town  |  Then I get on my knees and pray     |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |   We don't get get fooled again...   |
 | 7700, South Africa       |                                      |
 | fax: xx27-21-650 4023    |      - Pete Townshend, 1972          |
 | tel: xx27-21-650 3265    |      (Won't get fooled again)        |